Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Desi Midget, yea that's me.

I didn’t realise I was a short one until I turned 24. Until I moved out of home and lived with people who were gracious enough to point it out to me. Don’t imagine me as kid – I am not. I am around the same height as Mila Kunis (ya, that’s how I want you to think) but really I am not how it looks on her.

I mean, some people know to carry anything with elegance; clearly it’s not one of my gifts. I can’t carry a tote with elegance, damn it.

Being a short girl is easy. It wasn't an issue until articles like these started making rounds. I don’t have any of those advantages. My shoe sizes are on par with tall ones. No one finds excuses to touch me unnecessarily and gets away with it. Irrespective of one’s height, if a human becomes a hippo – it shows. This brings me to think who writes articles like these. I mean, they should conduct a survey of sorts among short ones. May be, even categorise as really short ones, just –right-short ones because the problems really vary. The short Indian woman is not exactly petite – she is just vertically challenged, many times horizontally well endowed.

Anyway, I thought I will make a list of the advantages of being a short person. A real list with no out of world stuff, like shopping in kids section!

 Leg Room – This is the BIGGEST advantage I can think of. I travel on budget airlines mostly and crib if       there isn’t any leg room (wrong, I know). Seeing 6 feet men struggle with limited spaces is fun.

We don't bend – I have never bent my head to pass under low ceilings, branches, temple doors etc. 

Can sleep anywhere – My feet have never hung over a bed, ever.

Always 'young' – Ok, this is an unfair advantage. Humans tend to associate height with growing up, so for some reason I am always mistaken to be younger than I actually am. Personally, I think I look just about right but hey, no complaining on this.

Cooking is an adventure – In this house, most of my groceries are on overhead shelves. I climb up on the counter almost every day. This is exactly how it looks! Ya, laugh aloud.



I can think of one disadvantage – tall girls look better in a sari. I look like a misplaced midget wearing a sari.

10 comments:

  1. I was imagining you climbing the counter while cooking and it made me smile. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added a pic for you to laugh more at it :D thanks!

      Delete
  2. I am a short one too. I enjoy all the advantages you mentioned. And the sari thing, so true. When I look at a sari being awesome on someone tall and I wear the same sari, it feels like there's all the difference in the world. Also tall people get to make away with putting on a little weight while the short ones immediately show. So not fair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, thts another. They put on whole 2 kgs and it hardly shows. My 200 grams go right on the tummy.

      Delete
  3. HAHAHA... I so relate :P

    I'm 5' 2" and have siblings who are 6' 1" and 5' 6". Imagine that :/
    Just clarifying, I'm 24 and they are 15 and 14 respectively..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :d I hear you! same story, bro is taller than me. but then, everyone is.

      Delete
  4. hahaha!!! My mother does the climbing on counter tops and we tease her endlessly!

    And for the record, you look great in a saree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, you girls are both tall - you and your sis. thanks :)

      Delete
  5. Ha Ha Ha!!!! "The short Indian woman is not exactly petite – she is just vertically challenged, many times horizontally well endowed." Good one!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments. Say it out, don't be shy!