Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Those baby steps

Circa early 90’s - It was utter chaos in our household. The first born is going to her first day school. The dad was polishing shoes and the mom was checking her snack box for the fifth time. She has never been away from her kid for more than fifteen minutes. However, the kid seems absorbed in her gaze of shiny books and slowly dangles her feet for the dad to fasten shoes.

They walk on the small lane to primary school. The way is filled with doubts – did I manage to get the right shade for her pinafore, why is her hair still messy, did I keep a spoon along. She talks on how to use her hand towel, to finish the lunch fully, to not talk during a class, to smile often, to keep eyes closed during prayers. The kid refuses to participate and keeps making stories from what she sees around. Her answers are standard.  I-know-it-all look and an only-three-teeth smile.

7.45 am, this morning – It is a sunny morning as she sat down with her tea. I am still asleep and a familiar voice shakes me out from slumber. Precisely, it has been two years and fourteen days from the last day I had to wake up by this alarm to work. A still sleepy I walk out to see her sipping tea and reading a book. A hug and some clean up later, we chat with a mug of tea and she listens patiently to my never ending dose of instructions. 

I keep reminding her to keep the door locked, to take keys when she goes for a walk, to remember and use the favorites on chrome, to not sit and scrub every window until it is clean. I also ask the same questions for the last 72 hours – if she wants me to subscribe to Indian channels, if she knows how to use the bathroom showers, if there is enough of this and that in the pantry, if she knows the nearest bus routes. Her answers are standard. I-am-your-mom look with I-can-manage smile.

I am too young to comment on bigger stuff but if there is something beautiful about being a daughter, it is watching your mom use YouTube at ease and send a what’sapp message to ask if I reached office on time. I am pleasantly surprised to see this circle of feelings, care giving and roles. Talking about taking baby steps, I think it will always be me. 

The mom is here, and I am in delirious joy. 

21 comments:

  1. Amma with you?? you lucky lucky lucky girl! I am just so jealous :)

    LOL on I am your mom, I can manage..we all worry too much eh?

    loved the post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now, your amma is with you! Thanks for the linkback, RM!

      Delete
  2. Lovely post:) Great to have mother over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, esp when it means piping hot tea not made by me :)

      Delete
  3. what a lovely post Arch!! I am not sure why.. tears welled up my eyes by the end of the post. Its just surprising to see how the roles are reversed now, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GB :) I agree. Yet, she seems to act all "I am your amma" about it.

      Delete
  4. Awwww this was a post straight from the heart :)

    Regarding moms, I feel as we go older they grow younger and need more of the care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soums, you wont believe me. She actually does grow younger. I will write on her tantrums in another post! :) Thanks for the second comment!

      Delete
  5. And this post is a perfect heart talk :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mom and you! Wow! I wish I could make that happen with my family! :( A wonderful post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I could have written a post as beautiful as that!! And ofcourse I wish I had my Mom around too!! Lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by and your nice words. I rarely get my thoughts down properly. This one was a saver :)

      Delete
  8. Lovely post!:)
    Here from RM's space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs to RM :) and of course, thanks to you for dropping by! And a big Hhhii!!

      Delete
  9. Loved the blog…
    keralaflowerplaza.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. sweet,sweet post :)
    Like moms would never stop thinking I-know-it-all, we will never stop explaining to the older generations how new things work. Just enjoy in the banter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very beautiful post :)
    Hope you both are having a wonderful time...Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments. Say it out, don't be shy!