Thursday, July 14, 2011

Day Six - What to eat when in South India :)



P.S: Click on image to view larger!

I found this image when I was doing some random browsing, over a year ago. After various futile attempts on trying to taste all the vegetarian dishes on the list, here comes my 'tasted' list from it. We will go by the states, for easier navigation!

South India - The Food Connoisseur's heaven

Tamilnadu - Obviously, done. Aapam, Dosa, Idli, Sambar and Rasam. Live a day in chennai and you will have all of that, except may be aapam!

Kerala - I have had the best sadya meals for onam with friends. Ente Keralam also serves an amazing Sadya meal. Dont miss it, if you like mallu land food. Avial is a part of sadya.Parotas- the malabar thattukada ones are to die for. The most authentic place in chennai is kumarkom, to my knowledge. Payasam, their vella-paripu ones, though not my favourite is also tasted.

Karnataka - Bisibele Bhaat, Kesari Bhaat, Mysore Pak and Chirotis - Done! Infact, I have made my own chirotis. They are a very unique tasting, semi-sweet dish, not really my favourite. Dharwad Peda, i have no clue on what it is!

Pondicherry - Vendakkai Patchaddy is not really from Pondy! So yea, I have done it.

Andhra Pradesh - The Biriyani, an authentic dum version from a wedding kitchen was once ransacked by me. I almost sat in the kitchen and licked it up, yum! I did not know Mirchi ka Salan is Andhra special, but yea tasted it somewhere. Gongurra pickle, licked it as well!

I am skipping Goa, bcos it has got nothing for the herbivore in me. Goa is not exactly SI too:)

Check here on Central India here. North, East and Rest next week or whenever :)

5 comments:

  1. How can you forget ghee+podi+rice .....something to die for! .....if only it would not have been for that, I would have been a few kilos lighter :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can you forget ghee+podi+rice .....something to die for! .....if only it would not have been for that, I would have been a few kilos lighter :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. he he, i went only with the map. If you ask me, I would have my own list :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i thought chirotis were very difficult to make

    dharvad peda is a small round sweet - dark brown - nice, though i'd prefer "obbattu" with a sprinkling of ghee (you heard of obbattu?) any day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, just noticed! Chirotis are not easy, but I have done it with along with an expert. If you want to know how, lemme know. Obbattu, I have had loongg back! Long time forgotten post, thanks for dropping by!

      Delete

I love your comments. Say it out, don't be shy!