Sunday, July 10, 2011

Day Two - The unique'st dish I have cooked - Murukku Sandwich



has to be Murukku Sandwich. I heard this first during a conversation with my MOP friends. I imagined it to be a stuffing of murukku inside two slices of bread, but on one of the 100 visits to sowcarpet, knew it was a sandwich of two murukkus! How awesome, I say. Sowcarpet is the most innovative shopping place I ever know of. The people there, are naturally gifted to convert the most ordinary of things to exotic items - food, clothes, accesories!

These murukus are unique to sowcarpet and are small, very crispy and spicy. A thin layer of red chutney, a piece of cucumber, a tiny onion and a tomato followed by a thin layer of green chutney makes the sandwich. It is served on a plate with ten pieces, topped with lots of sev and coriander. The tomato can also be replaced with a piece of boiled potato. Clearly, I was out of cucumber when this was made!

Now, sowcarpet is a place I go to SHOP and cant really eat much. So, we usually buy two packets of murukku and make these at home. This was the last dish I cooked, before I came to Singapore. Amma's most favourite with tea!

8 comments:

  1. This is really cool...I had no idea there were food such as this!

    Tee

    ReplyDelete
  2. haaa, we shud try this together sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God sounds and looks so yum!!! I haven't been to Sowcarpet, despite being in chennai for almost 10 years! :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post made me feel like a street walk in chennai munching on this tasty stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bandiwalla panipuri @ chudi bazar :P big slurps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!,Really wondering how they did that?,luks delicious.Ur blog has luvly posts.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you :) The next time I go to india, will pick a packet and post pics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! This sounds amazing!
    I should try this out some time! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments. Say it out, don't be shy!