Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Chew!

Carbon Trust, an independent carbon foot printing agency, measured the carbon footprint of a popular two-litre packaged orange drink and found it to be equal to a carbon dioxide emission of 1.7 kg! This came from the emissions during its processing, packaging and transportation. On the other hand, munching an orange grown locally would have caused a negligible footprint. The point is, what is needed is not one single action but a comprehensive lifestyle change.

From Hindu Metro Plus here

What is your carbon foot print? I am not social activist in any sense, and I do consume all kinds of packaged foods. Infact, I have not even followed on the Copenhagen Summit. But, when I read something like this, my stomach churns and I feel so damn small - almost feel like being invisible.

One of Sadhguru's quotes went like this - If you look at the organisation, capability and the certainity with which a simple ant is conducting its life, you will see you aer quite stupid.

This quote hit me harder only today. Is there any other species, other than humans - who leaves carbon prints? Why is it our tongues carve those orange juices and not bite into a orange? Why are we so persistent on only buying a car,because we are economically more strong - and not spend the same in paying 2 rupees more for organically grown produce?

Nowdays, I am like yuucckk at humans, yeah, that includes me. And - there are no castes in animaldom too.

5 comments:

  1. Eating natural whole food makes more earth sense than processed and packaged food.

    And yes, sometimes I am so disgusted by our capacity for destruction. Animals are far better in some aspects.
    But Humans too are important!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anu,

    Earth sense- I like that word. I agree, humans are important - we are like the destructors :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.s-anand.net/calvinandhobbes.html#19870719

    Remembered this post when I saw this C&H strip

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats the word - The personal pride to be inhuman, masked in the name of civilization.Thanks Anu, for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In short, the world's been screwed! The least we can do is to be a bit more responsible at the individual level.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments. Say it out, don't be shy!