Tuesday, November 3, 2009

A BPO

has always intrigued me.

Why is it bad, or rather not good and why do the elite clinch their noses when one says about BPO?

Why do I, even as I write this blog just cannot take up the offer from a top notch international BPO?.

There are many tall talkers, debators on this, but I am just trying to think from a very normal person's perspective - one who has a decent graduation, a good linkedin profile and of course a job in hand now.

A line has been drawn - the first step being the core organisations that have a project base in india, the third being BPO's and call centers and the second being all that is left over. My previous company was having one leg in the first step and one in the second. As much as I loved my stint there, I know that the third step is not so much of a steep one.

Whats wrong with me, or rather with people like me, probably you too?

I know this blog post has only questions. But when you are reasoning, answers cannot be blogged! Do share on the answers!

2 comments:

  1. The general perception is people who dont get a decent job in their core specialization opt for BPOs... more like mainstream rejects who get passed on....

    To me, the idea of BPO is good, but working at odd hours is a crime. It shows the desperation of the economy of our country and also the individuals to find a feet.... There are good and bad things about BPO, but to me, if not for the work timing, BPO is as good as any other industry.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! That is once again 'oh,one of tose perceptions' we have. I agree, I am no offset, and I think the same way. But the typecast is sometimes ridiculing.

    And yes the desperation bit has hit me quite sometimes as well. I have worked in a consulting company, and have stayedlong hours to interact with a client, or to talk to my manager. The hit is only in the knowledge levels. I know who I am talking to. To a large part of the BPO crowd here, the client is one alien firangi who they do not have access to yet they process his credit cards and handle his SSN!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments. Say it out, don't be shy!